Tuesday 5 March 2013

Kiss Me Kate & Dr Faustus




Kiss Me Kate is the most recent show I have been to see in London , I got tickets for my birthday and when I saw it was on up there I had to go and see it . I love the film and adore Howard Keels voice it’s very powerful , I also love Kathryn Graysons shrew  and Ann Millers wonderful dancing and Tommy Rall is very sneaky – it’s nice to see two of the seven brothers working together . The stage show is very different to the film set in a 1940’s theatre it has the same story with a few new songs and extended dance numbers.
 
 

I’m a sucker for costumes and loves all that this production had to offer , I adored the 1940’s playsuits , dresses and suits and the hair or wigs were nicely styled , I loved being taken back to that time when fashion was bright and figure hugging. The period costumes were  lovely as well the  distinct colours helped emphasize the details in the pieces and bring out the different personalities of all the characters . The chorus costumes were all in black and white and had a splash of colour in the petticoats, these costumes were beautifully made and the dancing was great to see in them , they must have been so hot and  I applaud anyone who can dance in period dress .


 

Alex Bourne played Fred Graham / Petruchio and gave a strong proud performance , his stage presence was tough  and his voice very powerful, felt like Howard Keel was alive and performing through another person very enjoyable to watch . Hannah Waddingham was wonderfully sassy as his ex wife Lilli Vanessi , and was very much a diva as Lilli and shrewful as Kate , she has a very wide vocal range and delievered the numbers effortlessly . Anyone can appreciate Adam Garcia as Bill/Lucentio  not only for eye candy , he had a lovely voice and danced beautifully , I also saw Bianca/Lois understudy Tanya Robb she was brilliant at providing laughs, had a lovely voice and costumes, she reminded me of Trixie from Call the Midwife  so adorable and I want all her costumes !!!!!!!

Clive Rowe and David Burt were hilarious as Mr Hogan’s employee’s and gave a very amusing performance of Brush Up Your Shakespeare for which they encored three times and receive and deserved a standing ovation!!!!!! Also adored Jason Pennycooke’s voice and smooth dance moves and Wendy Mae Browns powerful voice . If it cam back or went on tour I would see this show again, I loved it !!!!!!

 

 

 

Recently I have also taken part in a production of Dr Faustus , in short a man sells his soul to the devil and gets dragged to hell 24 years later . I played a  mother, a student , a seven deadly sin Pride, a dragon wing, a friar, hostess and a dead housewife and in another performance a devil called Banio. I loved having so many different roles and enjoyed working out  different voices and walks for all of them . I especially enjoyed playing pride for which I used an American accent and dressed as a showgirl/beauty queen and the hostess who was a cockney barmaid who ran a dodgy pub with even dodgy punters . My favourite scenes were the seven deadly sins scene in which there was a large variety of colours, accents and surprises and a rendition of highway to hell. I also loved the Emperor scene it was just hilarious due to the high pitched voices and the Vanholt scene with all the pink and dodgy sex. This was a fun show and it sold out as well , it was nice to play to a full house  hearing laughter  and gasps of surprise from the audiences each night .
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment