Sunday 27 January 2013

V&A Costume Exhibition Jan 2013

A couple of month's ago I booked for me and some friends to go up to London to The Victoria and Albert Hollywood Costume Exhibition .  The exhibition was announced this time last year and from the moment I read about it I knew I wanted to go to see some of the most beautiful and iconic costumes in film history .

We met at the station and headed up to London together and had a nice meal in Prezzo's  before heading to the V&A for the exhibition . It has been a very popular exhibition and was selling out fast so we went to look around in the evening. The first thing you see as you enter the exhibition is a big screen playing clips from the Movies that the costumes are featured in , this built up excitement and made us eager to press on and spend plenty of time looking at the beautiful costumes. Around the first corner and the first thing I saw was the Green Curtain dress from Gone With The Wind, it was lovely, a deep green velvet with green and gold tassels , with a more feminine peter pan style cap. The skirt was so big I could just imagine waltzing around in it , I did get a shiver down my spine of the good kind it was so hauntingly beautiful and the essence of Scarlett O'Hara and the beautiful Vivien Leigh was most defiantly in the room .
Next up was a dress from Dream Girls that Beyoncé wore in the film , again it was exquisite , the details  picked up and put into the dress such as the bead work and structure were well highlighted , I also loved the fact that the shoes were on show as well .
I did have a long list of favourites , I particularly enjoyed the Addams family display , they had the whole family Gomez, Morticia , Wednesday , Pudsey and baby Pubert. Again the details in Angelica's dresses were well highlighted and the sense of Gothic beauty was spread throughout all the costumes, deep burgundy's and sensual blacks are defiantly Addams family colours . I also enjoyed reading about the actors opinions of the costumes and the different production notes for each film as well as this the boards describing the use and significance of  costumes  and helped me relate to the importance of costumes when playing a part myself, personally I always feel I get more into character when I have a costume  or know what I'm going to be wearing or looking like . I also feel that  a great start for character development for myself is when I wear the shoes I will be wearing on stage as well , I can discover their walk, gestures and swagger as well .
 
 
Other favourite sections were the historical section, see the exquisite details on the beautiful dresses from period films, I loved the Viola and Will Shakespeare costumes in particular from Shakespeare in Love, one of my favourite films and also the Marie Antionette and Camelot dresses were stunning.
 
That was only the first section , around the corner had so many more costumes from The Birds, Sweeny Todd, Gangs of New York, The Artist, Cleopatra, A room with a view , Anna Karrienna , Star Wars Darth Vada which was massive and my n.1 favourite which was the beautiful deep red / burgundy dress from Gone With The Wind. it was stunning!!!!!
 The Shame Dress!!!!
Anna Karienna
 
The next room seemed a bit pushed together and few costumes were badly placed i.e Rose's titanic dress was shoved at the back where no on could see it really . But  My Fair Lady, Hello Dolly, Atonement, Funny Face and a Ginger Rogers dress stood out and the Sparkiling Diamond was on a swing as Nicole Kidman entered in Moulin Rouge . My friend loved the Atonement dress .

 


Along from this was another one of my favourite dresses from the film Chicago again a favourite film of mine , a sexy black sequined number worn by Renee Zellweger as Roxie Hart.




 
Some of the most beautiful costumes and Iconic costumes were in the exhibition and I was glad I went it was also goo to see Captain Jack Sparrow, Indianna Jones, Harry Potter and few super hero's. I'm glad I went and can't wait for my book to arrive so I can look at them all again!!!!!
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment